Holy Trinity church was dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, by the Bishop of St. Albans, Dr. Claughton on 9th July 1978. The dedication festival, kept annually, was always a great event in the history of the parish.
HOLY TRINITY - THE EARLY YEARS
Having started their missions of outreach in various parts of the parish, the clergy of St. John's soon realised that more was needed than just open-air services, especially in wintertime., In 1874, through the initiation of the vicar of Leytonstone, the Rev. Bettison, and the Rector of Wanstead, the Rev. Fitzgerald, an iron church was erected in Birkbeck Rd. (The Rector of Wanstead was involved as a large swathe of Leytonstone on the east side of the High Rd., known as the Wanstead slip, belonged to the parish of Wanstead.) A mission priest, Rev H. J. Battiscombe, was appointed. The services were so well attended that a committee was set up for the purpose of building a permanent church. £6,000 was raised in 2 years and plans were drawn up for a permanent church seating 800, as even now the population was still growing. The new church was built of plain brick in the early English style consisting of nave, aisles, and chancel elevated six steps, with finely timbered open roof. After a fire in 1892, the chancel roof was restored and beautifully painted with a dove depicted at the apex amid golden rays and various emblems on the panels below.